Heidelberg University is using a new online portal for all programs in bachelor and master education. Application to our program is only possible through this online toole.
Online application portal
Please note that the application process will change over time with this new portal. We will update the information below to match the new system. However, as of now (Feb 2023) this is still work in progress and the transition is an enormous task.
Legal remark: This section explains "Admission Rules" (Zulassungsordnung) in English language. According to German law, only the German version of the admission rules is finally binding for the admission.
Step 1: Get an account on heiCO and apply
To start the application process, please open an account in the online application module and submit all necessary data:
- latest university diploma (if you already completed a university degree)
- transcript of records of your latest university studies
Remark: Please attach as the first page of this file a table with a) modules in mathematics and b) modules in computer science that you took so far in a university program (name of the module, credits, grade)
- explanation of the grading system from your current/latest university
- language certificate (European Language Level English B2 or equivalent or TOEFL iBT with score 90 or better out of 120 or IELTS with score 6.5 or better).
Remark: If you come from a country with English as teaching language, please see the FAQ for replacements of the English certificate.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) in table form
- letter of motivation (English, 1-2 pages)
- signed statement that the candidate did never forfeit the examination claim in a master's program on Scientific Computing or a differently named master's program with largely the same content (sample in the FAQs).
Heidelberg University continuously accepts applications. Note that due to processing times and visa applications, students from different geographical areas should keep in mind to apply early enough to be sure to arrive in Heidelberg before the start of the lectures.
Start of lectures:
- Winter term: mid of October
- Summer term: mid of April
For the exact dates please refer to the announcement of Heidelberg University central administration.
Suggested and final application deadlines (winter term)
|recommended application||internal deadline|
|German applicants||September 1st||September 31st|
|EU applicants||July 31st||September 15th|
|non-EU applicants||June 15th||July 31st|
Suggested and final application deadlines (summer term)
|recommended application||Final deadline|
|German applicants||March 1st||March 31st|
|EU applicants||January 31st||March 1st|
|Non-EU applicants||November 15th||January 1st|
Step 2: Evaluation of your application in 3 steps
The department will check all your application data. Please note that we will simply not process any incomplete applications. Admission is granted in three steps:
- Central university will check your principle eligibility for the program.
- The faculty will evaluate your application and your prior education regarding a proper fit to the program you apply to.
- The central admission office will decide on an offer for each candidate based on the two previous evaluations.
This process takes 4-8 weeks to complete.
The foreign admission office will check your application data and certificates. Only if the application is complete and fullfills the formal criteria will the foreign admission office transfer the application to the Faculty for Mathematics and Computer Science for the decision on the admission.
Step 3: Enrollment
After arrival at Heidelberg, students must enroll into the program personally. The enrollment office can ask for original documents to confirm the data supplied with the application. Enrollment will be confirmed if the admission slip of the faculty is valid and the original documents confirm the data submitted during the application for admission.